NNSP offers funding to sector initiatives for the purpose of creating projects that will advance and strengthen the field. Grantees develop projects that result in lessons that can be shared with and applied to the larger sector field, to specific industries, or to organizations involved in similar work. In the process, they also create products that can be used by other NNSP members and the sector field in general.
2014 Strategic Venture Fund Grantees
Following are NNSP's 2014 Strategic Venture Fund grantees:
- Partners for a Competitive Workforce
In partnership with the Southwest Ohio Region Workforce Investment Board and Ohio Means Jobs Center of Butler County, Partners for a Competitive Workforce has launched a new Manufacturing Apprenticeship Program, designed by employers to meet their immediate needs for welders and machinists. Participants receive industry-recognized certificates and earn wages for on-the-job training. They also have the opportunity for promotion as competencies are attained. Support from NNSP enabled PCW to evaluate the progress of this program and to compile lessons-learned in a format that can be easily shared with other organizations.
Partners for a Competitive Workforce's Strategic Venture Fund product of value to the sector field:
- Towards Employment
Towards Employment’s project documented three innovations in programming developed by WorkAdvance, a regional sector specific career pathway program led by Towards Employment. NNSP funding supported the write up of three cases studies to highlight the role that a community based work readiness organization played in (1) an industry association partnership that led to accelerated outcomes; (2) a training cohort customization that increased access to training for low-skill individuals; and (3) a partnership with a local business to create a strategy for low-wage incumbent worker upskilling and backfill with candidates from distressed neighborhoods.
Towards Employment's Strategic Venture Fund products of value to the sector field:
- WRTP/BIG STEP
WRTP's goal for its Strategic Venture Fund grant was to provide two key outcomes:
- Documentation of best practices in the intermediary model, which has led to high paying jobs for those who have typically have barriers to those jobs
- Based on knowledge derived from key stakeholders, recommendations regarding how WIOA rules can be designed to further access to Registered Apprenticeships for underserved groups
WRTP's Strategic Venture Fund products of value to the sector field:
- Industry Led, Worker Centered and Community Focused: WRTP/BIG STEP’s Sector-Driven Best Practices
- WRTP/BIG STEP Recommendations to the US Department of Labor (DOL) Regarding Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Program Design to Encourage Registered Apprenticeships, WRTP/BIG STEP (report)
Each of the organizations listed above is doing innovative work of importance to the sector field. Through their projects, grantees have developed products for use by other sector initiatives. For more information about each Strategic Venture Fund grantee, including the products they have developed, click on the image next to the name of the sector partnership you'd like to learn more about.