- Metrics Matter: An Innovation Network for Economic Security
- California Self-Sufficiency Standard (CFES)
- California Elder Economic Security Index (Cal-EESI)
- Mississippi Self-Sufficiency Standard
- Additional Resources
Color of Wealth Miami
- The Color of Wealth in Miami is a joint publication of the Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity at The Ohio State University, the Samuel DuBois Cook Center on Social Equity at Duke University, and the Insight Center for Community Economic Development.
Click here to read the full report.
Clipped Wings: Closing the Wealth Gap for Millennial Women
- Today, there are about 40 million millennial women, representing 31.5% of the female population in the U.S. Millennial women do not benefit from many economic policies and systems designed by, and built to meet the needs of, men as primary breadwinners. Millennial women came of age during the Great Recession, the rise of mass incarceration, unprecedented student debt levels, and changing workforce dynamics. All of these factors contribute to the fact that millennial women are 37% more likely than Generation Xers (those born between 1965 and 1984) to be living below the federal poverty line and are more likely to be underemployed or unemployed than previous generations.
Click here to read the full report.
Clipped Wings Webinar
- Too many Millennial women are operating under clipped wings that prevent them from achieving economic security and soaring to their full potential. Existing policies affecting family economic security do not support Millennial women’s rise in educational attainment and resulting student debt burden, nor do they acknowledge the ongoing roles Millennial women play as the primary caregivers for children and other family members.
Click here to access the recorded webinar and slide deck.
Returning to the Promise of Full Employment: A Federal Job Guarantee in the United States
Returning to the Promise of Full Employment: A Federal Job Guarantee in the United States outlines the socioeconomic case for establishing a Federal Job Guarantee to fundamentally transform the U.S. labor market through the promise of inclusive economic opportunity.
Download the report here (756 KB PDF).
Driving Into Debt: The Need for Traffic Ticket Fee Reform
Driving Into Debt: The Need for Traffic Ticket Fee Reform is a detailed report highlighting the flaws and inequities of California’s current traffic fine and fee system and offering specific recommendations for reforms that would promote sustainable system funding and the fair administration of justice for all Californians. Authored by Annette Case and Jhumpa Bhattacharya of the Insight Center, the report describes a current system that all too often leads to spiraling debt, license suspension, and unequal justice for the poor and communities of color.
Download the report here (1.1 MB PDF).
Women, Race and Wealth
Women, Race and Wealth is the first in a series of briefs that summarize patterns of household wealth among Black and white women by college education, family structure and age using the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID). Researchers from Duke University and the Insight Center for Community Economic Development analyzed data on assets such as savings and checking accounts, stocks, retirement accounts, houses and vehicles. Debts included credit card debt, student loans, medical debt, mortgages and vehicle debt.
Download the brief here (353 KB PDF).
Richmond opens the door to economic opportunity and security
- The report, entitled, "Richmond Opens the Door to Economic Opportunity and Security" was authored by Sharon Cornu, a leading East Bay public policy expert and senior consultant at the Center. According to the report, expanding prospects for economic opportunity and security in Richmond (and comparable communities) are largely a product of decisions by policy makers, improved employer practices, and voluntary agreements.
Download the case study here (1.7 MB PDF).
Bootstraps For Black Kids: Race, Wealth, and the Impact of Intergenerational Transfers on Adult Outcomes
- A new Duke Study, Black Families with Less Give More for Higher Education shows that—despite a close to 19 to 1 racial difference in median wealth—black parents demonstrate an outsized commitment to using their limited resources to invest in their children’s education. And that investment pays off; bringing their children to near parity in terms of educational achievement with their white counterparts.
Download the report here (484 KB PDF).
Rise Together Bay Area: Promoting Family Economic Security in the San Francisco Bay Area Region
- Promoting Family Economic Security in the San Francisco Bay Area Region highlights the depth and breadth of poverty in the Bay Area in new and compelling ways, tests various types of pro-prosperity supports through economic microsimulations, and presents a set of research-grounded strategies for implementing a pro-prosperity agenda.The report also makes available 110+ maps developed by the UC Berkeley Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society, documenting levels of poverty and opportunity across the region.Download the report here (1.6 MB PDF without appendices).Download the full report here (18 MB PDF).
- Measuring Up: Aspirations for Economic Security in the 21st Century This report describes how the government and others measure and shape the public conversation about what it takes to be economically secure in the U.S. Metrics covered include: the Federal Poverty Guidelines, the Supplemental Poverty Measure, as well as a range of family budgets, asset scorecards and multi-dimensional indices using an age, race or gender lens.
- Economic Security Is...Concept Paper Highlighting the common story measures tell about economic security to better inform policy debate and help build public will toward common sense solutions. Written by Annette Case
- Download Economic Security Is...Concept Paper here
- Overlooked and Undercounted 2009: Struggling to Make Ends Meet in California Report and Executive Summary (2009)
- How Much is Enough in Your County? The 2008 California Family Economic Self-Sufficiency Standard (2008)
- California Self-Sufficiency Standard by county (2008)
- Overlooked and Undercounted: A New Perspective on the Struggle to Make Ends Meet in California Report and Executive Summary (2004)
- California Self-Sufficiency Standard by county (2003)
- Moving Toward Economic Security: Best Practices and Challenges in Using the California Family Economic Self-Sufficiency Standard and Online Calculator (2009)
- Keeping the Goal in Sight: Ideas for Using a Self-Sufficiency Index and the Online Self-Sufficiency Calculator to Help Families Move Out of Poverty (2006)
- Using the California Self-Sufficiency Standard in Practice: Ideas for Organizations and Public Agencies Working to Help Families Move Out of Poverty (2004)
- High Ideals, Low Pay: A Wage Analysis of University of California Service Workers (2005)
- Working Poor, No More: How Three Bay Area Projects are Making Self-Sufficiency a Reality Executive Summary (2005)
- The Hidden Public Costs of Low-Wage Jobs in California (2004)
- Working in the Shadow of Prosperity: An Economic Portrait of Hotel & Restaurant Workers in the Los Angeles County Tourism Industry (2004)
- Struggling to Make Ends Meet in the Bay Area (2009)
- The Bottom Line: Setting the Real Standard for Bay Area Working Families (2004)
- California Self-Sufficiency Calculator
- Older Adults Challenged Financially When Adult Children Move Home (2014)
- The High Cost of Caring: Grandparents Raising Grandchildren (2013)
- Older Adults Need Twice the Federal Poverty Level to Make Ends Meet in California (2010)
- Half a Million Older Californians Living Alone Unable to Make Ends Meet (2009)
- Federal Poverty Guideline Underestimates Costs of Living for Older Persons in California (2008)
- Elders Living on the Edge: The Impact of California Support Programs When Income Falls Short in Retirement (2008)
- FAQ: Supplies answers to common questions about the Elder Economic Security Index and the California Elder Economic Security Initiative.
- Factsheet: How is the Elder Index Used?
- Webinar: What AAAs Need to Know About AB 138 (Elder Economic Planning Act)
- Slides from What AAAs Need to Know About AB 138 webinar
- Webinar: Economic Security Towards an Inclusive Movement for Healthy, Vibrant Communities
- Overlooked and Undercounted: Struggling to Make Ends Meet in Mississippi Report and Executive Summary (2009)
- The Self-Sufficiency Standard for Mississippi 2009
- Mississippi Self-Sufficiency Standard by county (2009)
- Envisioning a Better Future for Working Families in Mississippi: The Self-Sufficiency Standard in Mississippi (2010)
- Mississippi: Making More than Ends Meet Strategic Plan (2011)
- Building Economic Stability for Mississippi Families (2010)
- Demonstrating Impact: Tracking Clients' Progress Toward Economic Security (2013)
- Webinar: What AAAs Need to Know About AB 138 (Elder Economic Planning Act) (Slides from What AAAs Need to Know About AB 138 webinar)
- Building and Preserving Income and Assets within California - Recorded Webinar and PDF (2012)
- Adult Education: Gateway to a More Competitive Workforce (2009)
- Reality Check: Promoting Self-Sufficiency in the Public Workforce System, a Promising Practices Guide for Workforce Boards (2006)
- Coming up Short: A Comparison of Wages and Work Supports (2004)